Friday, July 31, 2009

Email sending errors

UPDATED 8/4/09:

A recent issue has popped up with people not being able to SEND mail -- though they can receive it.

After many hours on the phone, I don't know why this is happening and GoDaddy doesn't either but it appears that there is something spam-related going on on the internet all of a sudden which is causing blocks to my server. So weird. The error some people are getting says something about "spamhaus" but the IP that is blocked is not MY server, but theirs. Like I said, it's inexplicable.


Easy enough to fix though. So far there are two things to try -- and both have worked for those who have tried.

Note: when I say mail.domain.com that would be, for example, mail.authorname.com

1. Change your outgoing servers from mail.domain.com to whatever your ISP uses -- for example smtp.comcast.net or whatever they suggest. And then unclick the "authentication" button. Also unclick "Use SSL."

2. Keep the outgoing server as mail.domain.com, make sure "authentication" is chosen and that "password" is how it is authenticated.
Also unclick "Use SSL." And last, try, one at a time (to see what might work), the following ports: 25, 80, 587, 3535. Port 587 has done the trick for a few clients immediately.

It's aggravating -- I know. Thanks for your patience.

maddee


No comments: